Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Jacket: April 20, 2010



Here are a couple of views of my flight jacket with, "Batlin' Bet' nose art painted on the back. One can see the various lighting conditions will translate differently on film. The bottom two photos show the artwork fresh off the easel. The upper photo shows I have worn it a bit as the paint is starting to crack in a few places. This is a good thing.

So, now that I have my jacket finished, and I am honoring my Mom and Kenny Frost. It's time to wear it out. The only way to get a, "50 mission crush", is to wear it like it is a second skin. Wear it as often as I can.

I am a walking story! Since it's creation I have worn it to Europe twice, and turned a few heads of historians and members of the WWII generation. It all works to plant seeds, jog memories, and spark the imagination.

It has also been an attractor to others who have had relatives involved in WWII. I have received commissions to paint images of nose art that was on the aircraft of their relatives, on their own A-2 flight jackets.

It is a great way to pay homage to, and stay in contact with relatives, some who have already made the passage into the great beyond. Their spirit comes back into form.

No comments:

Post a Comment