Total Pageviews

Friday, April 16, 2010

Second Skin. April 16, 2010




One of the most profound things I came across was Kenny Frost's Flight Jacket. It hadn't been worn in over fifty years. His brother kept it in a very safe location.

This was the Jacket that got him through fifty plus missions into enemy territory, and back, in the 'Batlin' Bet'. If it could talk, I can only imagine the stories it would tell.

It not only had a '50 Mission Crush' to it, but it also had the experience ingrained in it from all of his training missions as a pilot.

WWII pilots grew so accustomed to having it on and wearing it everywhere they went, (Not just in combat), that it was considered their "Second Skin". It somehow protected them from harm, and/or would get them through any ordeal in the sky which they may encounter or be facing.

I thought to myself, "I want this flight jacket!".

I dared not to ask because it was a family heirloom, and I was lucky to be holding it.

I figured one day when I could afford my own jacket, I would pattern it after this one.

Kenny Frost's Flight Jacket
Patch left 323 Fighter Group, "Air Wolves"
Patch right: 96th Fighter Squadron 82 Fighter Group

2 comments: