Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Teaching Day. April 7, 2011




A couple of years ago, Spring, I taught my painting class at the Montecito Country Club. The Sun Glistened on the water over the Santa Barbara Channel.

Using Naples Yellow for my highlights, and a light violet for an under painting tone I developed the painting, where the vibration of complements (Lavender/amber) created a vibration. My goal was to keep the painting harmonized in the amber range, so it holds together; the overall painting was warm with an amber tone.

The cooler highlights have contrast, or, "Pop", because of what is next to them: Gray warmer tones, next to cooler, more intense notes of color, and also the subtle contrast of juxtaposed complimentary colors.

One of my students took this picture of me after holding the painting after removing it from my easel.

It's best to get the new creation to a safe environment immediately after completion. In other words, "Gotta protect the goods!!

Summer Light
12"x12" oil/board 2009
Private Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment