Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Light and Shadow in Art Jan 20, 2010



This is me...and this is my class.

Today is the first day of the Winter 2010 quarter for S.B.C.C. Adult Education Program.

I've been teaching art for eighteen years or so. At present, I teach a plein-air,(open air) painting class, through an incredible program; Santa Barbara City College Continuing Education. The ages and skill levels of my students vary from 18 to 90, and beginning to advanced. I view anyone who participates in my class as my teacher. I teach in Oils, Watercolors, Acrylics, and Pastel Painting. I am clear that I teach what I most to learn, and I remain open to to increasing my depth of understanding about art, and the artist's process.

In each class I attempt to do a demonstration painting. I try to teach various techniques such as tonalism, impressionism, warm and cool, limited palette, architectural renderings, perspective, mixing grays, and other fundamentals essential in creating better art.

My method of teaching is a cathartic experience for both my students and me. Being surrounded by observers helps me in my creative process. In this process the painting becomes a collaborative effort based on the sharing of energy, and questions they impart which challenge me in my philosophy.

I've realized that the act of painting a painting from concept to finish is alchemy; it is nothing more than process orientation on a two dimensional surface.


Demonstration Painting: Goleta Beach, 16x20 oil/canvas. Video by Aaron Arson


If you would like to see me paint this particular painting, check out this link:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlLEDmqtf4Y



Enjoy the Show!

No comments:

Post a Comment