Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Light of Day March 24, 2010



Well, once the painting was finished, It was time to make the frame. Because the stretchers were completely square, I decided to make what is known as a "Floating Frame". This would allow for a three quarters inch gap between the canvas and the frame, and give the impression the canvas was 'floating'. The material I would use would be that of bass wood. This was another monster of a project mostly because of the scale.

I made the frame next door in my former wood shop-- (now belonging to Silas Dunlap} and spent a solid week in production. My intention was to paint it black, insert the painting into the floating frame, and place a brass placard with the title and my name on it. However I couldn't wait for the frame to be finished as I needed reference for advertising. I called my colleague, noted fine art (aerial photographer) Bill Dewey, to come and photograph it out side my studio.

On the day Bill came to take pictures, I took the painting out out my studio and hung it, unframed, on one of the Barn walls of the Old International Dairy. Bill snapped away digital pictures for my records. I invited my friend Cyndi Burt to come and photograph me standing in front of the piece, for my web site.

Over the next two months I continued to plan for the relocation of the painting: shipping/transportation, and throwing the celebratory event that would be it's launch into the public domain. I realized that similar to painting, production work is all about priorities; prioritizing, shifting priorities, and re-prioritizing, in order to manifest the new idea.


I also invited as many people to come to my studio to view it, generating as much excitement and enthusiasm around the birth of this Master piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment