Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Postman Always Rings Twice: Teaching Day January 28, 2012

Old Barnsdall Oil Co. Gas Depot, on Hollister, near Santa Barbara











Every now and then things fall into place. Wednesday's class location was changed at the last minute due to unforeseen  circumstances. (Construction Equipment)


Instead I opted to relocate the class down the lane near Ellwood, to paint this historic icon which is behind a fence, and slowly decaying.  Still, it was there for us to paint it's portrait.

Light and Shadow in Art, on location Jan. 25, 2012
I only know this building was used as a film location for the movie, "The Postman Always Rings Twice", starring Jack Nickolson. Then one of my students in class told me he use to work there pumping gas. (a long long time ago).


Another student then sent me this image of the gas station, taken not long after it was built. (Thanks Bill)
Now we can only hope to make each brush strokes count, as we paint away each moment; imagining the ghosts of the past...and it all comes together.

The postman always rings twice, because if we don't answer the first ring, we may be out painting. 


In two weeks I will be running this blog through my website:  www.thomasvanstein.net 



No comments:

Post a Comment