Total Pageviews

Friday, June 11, 2010

Walking Amongst Masters, June 6,2010



When I went back to school to get my Master in Arts Degree in 1997, I sought out my teachers. I found a book in an art store by the contemporary master artist, Harry Carmean, who's proficiency and skill with line and form have astounded many art officianatos.

Fast forward to last night at the four seasons Biltmore in Santa Barbara; the Bottoms Gallery hosted a one night salon, exhibiting the artwork of Harry Carmean, for one evening.

Walking in to the salon I was very still, taking in the beauty before me. All the paintings were hung and lit well, and framed nicely. What a treat; to be in the presence of such masterworks, of an artist I'd only heard about, and studied, years before. There's nothing like the real deal.

As the evening went on I introduced myself to Harry, who was conversing with another contemporary Master Artist, James "Bud" Bottoms. (I show my work at Bud Bottom's Son Joseph's gallery)

This was just a brief orbit of us three artists. I was all ears as Harry and Bud shared their WWII stories: Harry was in the 2Nd Wave of U.S. forces on Omaha Beach, firing anti-aircraft, Bud operated radar on TBF's in the Pacific.

The rest of the evening was spent in dialog on art and masters of the past. The flow was extraordinary; always placing things in context. I feel it could have gone on all through the night.

I left there, feeling grateful, and appreciative for that which is to come.


Photo:

"Harry Makes a Point"
Left to Right: Harry Carmean, Myself, James "Bud" Bottoms

No comments:

Post a Comment