Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Solar Sun Dog, June 4, 2011

Came out of the Santa Barbara Museum of Art yesterday after viewing the Wright Ludington Collection, and saw many people on the streets looking upward and taking photos. I turned my gaze skyward to see the most spectacular circular rainbow around the sun.

Ice crystals in the upper atmosphere, were refracting the mid-day sunlight like a prism, creating this rainbow effect.

Some day I'd like to capture one of these "Sun Dogs" in a painting. I've seen them appear at night around a full moon. I wonder if they call these, "Moon Dogs".

My understanding is it's nature's way of warning us, in a strange way, to pay attention to what lies ahead. Coming events cast their shadows...and it looks like rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment