Total Pageviews

Friday, June 10, 2011

Nocturnes: Filippo Brunelleschi, a lesson on Perspective June 11, 2011

A Sleeping Metrolink, Ventura California:

End of the line for the North Bound Metrolink Trains.

Lurking around for a motif I spied this slumbering monster by the side of the road. I grabbed my gear and set up to paint.

The composition: the primary focal point is the Beast-like engine which is seen in Two Point Perspective. The strong secondary focal point is dead ahead on the dirt road.

Sodium Vapor Lights
add their amber-like ambiance to the scene. I decided to tilt the Horizon Line slightly, in order to give the painting a more dynamic quality. (I stole this technique from watching the cinematography of the old Batman and Robin T.V. Show).

While painting, I observed the cleaning crews driving down the lane, moving from train car to train car. The two red lights in the cab of the forward engine looked to me like demonic eyes; like something out of the Amityville Horror.

There I was, all alone, painting away. Then some schizophrenic irate man came up behind me and started screaming, saying, "YOU CANNOT STAND THERE!!" over and over again at the top of his lungs. I guess this small, empty parking lot where I was standing, was private property, and even though it was 11:30 pm and no creatures were stirring, this was his world, and he was in charge).

After recovering from my near fatal heart stoppage. I calmly and quietly moved my easel, palette, and my being, off the end of the parking lot and on to the dirt adjacent the railroad tracks--a total distance of about six feet! It was edgy, again.

One must choose their battles, and motifs, wisely!

Sleeping Metrolink
22x28 oil/canvas
collection of the artist

No comments:

Post a Comment