Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Ruptured Duck, March 2, 2010



I'm an inactive private pilot, and big history buff. I like to put those two hobbies together and volunteer at the Commemorative Air Force Museum in Camarillo, California, It is there where sometimes four generations of aviation and history enthusiasts gather to restore, maintain, and fly WWII Aircraft.

Every now and then I will attract the opportunity to create something for the wing; like its logo. However, last month I was asked to paint the image of a ruptured duck on the fin, (vertical stabilizer) of our AT-6 Trainer, "Blue Boy". It was taken from a WWII Squadron Patch. I painted it in Acrylics, over about six hours time. It's not the easiest place to paint in detail due to the constant sounds of pneumatic drills, sanders, and jigsaws. Today, I finished the details, signed it, cleared it.

It sure looks pretty, and it sparks my imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment